Like all addictions, all individuals are going to opt for a different alcohol addiction treatment method when dealing with alcohol addiction. Due to the fact that all individuals function differently, require different assistance, and will learn in a different manner, for some, an outpatient facility is enough (such as AA), for others, they are going to need to check in to an inpatient facility, to get away from it all, and really learn the tools to get off alcohol, and to learn to live a life without having to take a drink on a daily basis.
AA has been around for so long because it works. At alcoholics anonymous, you go to group meetings, talk to others, and learn about what led you to addiction. You have a group leader, and you talk about how alcohol has ruined your life, and has harmed you both in personal and business settings. You will have a leader, as well as a group to lean on. In this setting, you will not stay on site, and will go out and back to your home on a nightly basis. For those who have the willpower and a strong support team at home and in friends, it might be the perfect solution. You have to be strong, and you have to be able to resist the temptation you are around each day. For many, this is the solution to treat your addiction, and to help you get sober.
Just like drug inpatient facilities, some will choose to check in to an inpatient facility for alcohol addiction treatment as well. You will get:
– A stable situation, where you remain for a period of time, and are taken away from the people, places, and things that led you to abuse alcohol.
– There are highly trained doctors and nurses around, to help you cope, and to provide medical attention if necessary.
– You build a support system through meetings, and meeting with others who are also suffering from addiction.
– You learn how to rebuild your life, and not have to focus and depend on alcohol every day of your life.
– For many, it is being taken away from the places and people that brought you to addiction that is going to help you. This is what you get in an inpatient center that you do not get from AA or other outpatient forms of treatment. You learn to live without, and you learn to clear your mind; these are essentials to helping you build a new normal, and learn to live without alcohol.
You have to decide how addicted you are, and how determined you are to get the much needed help. All cases are different, and each person will cope in a different way. You have to know what the best alcohol addiction treatment options are, what you have tried in the past, and what the best options are for you personally, when you want to get sober, get clean, and to get your life back in order.
- License: Creative Commons image source
John Veron likes writing about healthcare, addictions and psychology.