We all want to burn more fat, right? After all, that’s why so many of us dedicate hours each week to hitting the gym and watching our calories. So if there was a way to make sure that you were burning even more fat throughout the day, you’d want to know how to do it, right? Well these five tips will help breathe some new life into your diet and exercise routine and jump start your fat loss efforts:
1. Start eating more fat. Wait, what? Eat fat to lose fat? It sounds like a contradiction, but filling your diet with healthy fats will actually help you lose weight. You can find these healthy fats in foods like avocados, nuts and nut butters, fish, and eggs.
2. Commit to heart rate training. Most people approach their workouts with the idea that the more their heart is pumping, the more calories they’ll torch. This is true to an extent, but your body is using sugars to blast through those workouts. To get in a more effective workout train by your max aerobic heart rate; you’ll start out slower, but you’ll eventually build up to faster speeds at the same heart rate and it will help you become more efficient at burning fat during your workouts.
3. Start your workout with a warm up and end with a cool down. A lot of people skip the warm up and cool down portion of their workout because it’s low intensity and some people find it unnecessary or unchallenging. However the extra 10-15 minutes that you tack onto the beginning and end of each workout can slash an additional 100 calories and will help your body operate more effectively during your actual workout.
4. Add in bursts of exercise throughout the day. Spending an hour at the gym is great, but when you follow it by sitting for 8 hours every day at work your workout ends up representing a very small portion of your day. Try adding in bursts of activity throughout the day by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, standing or walking around while you’re on the phone, doing jumping jacks every hour on the hour, or doing crunches, pushups and squats during commercial breaks. These small moments of exercise will add up.
5. Clean up your diet. They say that losing weight is more diet and nutrition than it is exercise, but people tend to forget this and focus more on exercise than anything else. Don’t let your workouts give you the false sense of security that you can eat whatever you want. Focus on filling your diet with 80% healthy, wholesome foods every day and 20% treats. This will help you stay on track and blast through fat while still indulging occasionally.
By taking a few extra minutes to warm up and cool down before and after your workouts, really cleaning up your diet, focusing on eating healthy fats, adding in bursts of activity throughout the day, and focusing on staying in your target heart rate zone you can blast fat and lean up quicker and more efficiently.