Silent and still, mold can cause serious health problems for your family. Spores are broken off through vibrations from people walking, and they can travel through your home in the air. Unseen, they are inhaled or even ingested. This won’t cause a problem for some people, but it’s the beginning of chronic misery for anyone who is allergic to mold. The good news is that there is relief for painful allergy symptoms caused by mold.
Know the Symptoms
Mold excels at hiding, so you may not be aware that it’s in your home. However, any chronic health condition related to your respiratory system should prompt a search for this hidden danger. The most common symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, coughing, persistent postnasal drip, itchy eyes, nose, throat and watery eyes.
It’s important to remember that people are affected by mold differently. While one person may have a slight cough, someone with a severe allergy could suffer from a serious cough. Other severe symptoms and signs of asthma problems include wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath.
Finally, be wary of any seasonal allergy symptoms that stubbornly remain throughout the year. With mold in the house and moving through your heating and cooling system, the agitation remains steady and you never find relief. It doesn’t matter if the mold is hidden behind the refrigerator or in an unused room you rarely enter; it can cause you constant misery.
Treat Mold Symptoms by Removing mold
It all starts with getting the offending materials out of your house. Continuing to share your living quarters with mold will ensure that you continue to suffer. Start by finding the source of the mold. Go through every inch of your home. Look behind appliances, and use a moisture meter to find areas with higher humidity levels. If you are unable to find the source, then call in the professionals to determine where the mold is and how it can be removed.
Once you find where the mold is hiding, the next step is to determine what caused the problem. Leaky pipes or windows and high humidity levels contribute to the growth of mold. Correct the underlying problem to prevent the mold from returning. Fix leaky plumbing, seal windows and invest in a dehumidifier for damp basements and crawlspaces.
Minor mold infestations can be treated at home by washing the surface, scrubbing it with a stiff brush and drying it thoroughly. Always wear a filtered mask during mold removal projects to protect yourself. Materials like carpeting and ceiling tiles that are riddled with mold should be removed and thrown away. Wrap them in plastic first to avoid spreading the mold through the home. If the mold is extensive and infiltrating porous surfaces like sheetrock, then you should turn to the professionals for assistance. Have a certified mold removal specialist take care of the removal to avoid spreading it through the home and protect your family.
Mold Prevention to Protect Your Family
Once the mold is removed, you should start feeling better. However, you need to make sure it doesn’t come back. Make sure bathroom and kitchen fans are vented to the exterior of your home, and use them regularly when bathing or cooking to keep humidity levels down. Invest in dehumidifiers for subterranean living spaces that constantly feel wet. Change the filters in your HVAC system regularly to catch airborne mold spores and prevent them from spreading. Clean up spills quickly so mold won’t have an opportunity to take root and thrive.
Mold is a hidden danger that can cause you serious health problems. However, it doesn’t have to make you miserable. Be aware of the symptoms so you can start searching for the offending mold at the first sign of problems. It’s also important to invest in mold prevention techniques to keep your home and family safe. Removing the mold and keeping it out of your home and workplace will provide you with lasting relief from the symptoms.
Pam Deer works with Moldbusters, a mold removal company from NYC, as their content writer. She used to work as a nurse, so she also knows a thing or two about allergies and how annoying they can be, especially those caused by mold.