Last Updated on
We all have bad habits. Some of us smoke, grind our teeth or eat too much meat, but some bad habits are worse than others. These are some of the worst and most common bad habits that should be stopped today.
- Smoking – Everyone knows that smoking is bad, but some people may need more motivation to quit. According to the CDC, more than 480,000 people a year die from smoking, and people who quit smoking today are likely to have a longer and happier life.
- Heavy Alcohol Use – Drinking alcohol in moderation can be healthy, but people who drink heavily are putting their life at risk. If you are a heavy drinker, you are more likely to suffer from cancer, anemia and Cirrhosis. The body is an amazing system, and if you quit drinking heavily today, it’s possible for your body to repair any damage already done.
- Driving And Texting – We all love to text. The ability to send out a quick and precise message to anyone is great, but unfortunately, doing so while driving can kill you. Texting while driving means you are 2.8 times more at risk for being in an accident. Unlike many other bad habits on this list, driving and texting can hurt you and someone else, so it’s best to send those texts while not speeding down the road in a heavy weapon.
- Fast Food Consumption – Fast food is delicious, cheap and addicting, but like all good things, it can kill you. Most of the delicious fast food we eat is filled with fat, and a diet consisting heavily of fast food is bad for our hearts. Heavy fast food consumption can cause a stroke, heart disease and cancer. Fast food is okay in moderation, but cutting out most of it will lead to several health improvements and a higher quality of life.
The Not So Obvious
- Tanning – Many of us love the way we look with a tan. Popular culture has instilled the idea that tan equals beautiful into our brains, and who doesn’t like to look good? Unfortunately, tanning beds and heavy sun exposure can have many negative effects. Tanning can cause skin cancer, and heavy sun exposure can lead to premature aging of skin and sun poisoning. If you think you have sun poisoning, you should immediately visit an urgent care center.
- Excessive Exercising – Getting enough exercise is a good habit that we should all engage in, but it’s very easy to exercise too much. If you have gotten into the habit of exercising too much, it’s important to stop immediately. Excessive exercise can lead to exhaustion and physical injuries, and it can be more harmful than not exercising enough. Our bodies will tell us when we’ve had too much, and it’s important to listen to them.
- Overworking – Much like excessive exercising, overworking can have disastrous results. We all like to be able to earn a living, but overdoing it can lead to a shorter life. Stress and lack of sleep are hard on our bodies, and if you have gotten into the habit of working more than you need to, your body will thank you if you stop.