Wrestling with a bout of transient insomnia or a more permanent case of chronic insomnia can leave you feeling drained, depressed and extremely moody throughout the day. But much more than that, did you know not getting the proper amount of sleep each night can have serious effects on your overall health and immune system? This is why millions of Americans turn to sleeping pills each year. Unfortunately, the side effects from prescription sleeping pills are often just as bad—if not worse—than the effects of insomnia.
That’s why if you’re having trouble sleeping, your best and healthiest bet is to turn to natural sleeping aids. By using natural sleeping aids, you’re maintaining your body’s natural balance while avoiding harmful, and potentially addictive, chemicals. Instead, you’re using natural methods to gently nudge your body back on track, alleviating restless nights in the process.
Seven Reasons to Use Natural Sleep Aids Instead of Prescription Pills
Here are the top seven benefits of using natural sleep aids for when you need a good night’s sleep.
1. Natural sleep aids are safe. The biggest benefit that natural sleep aids (such tryptophan, whichstimulates the body to produce serotonin and melatonin) bring with them is that they are safe to consume. Because they trigger natural body production of hormones found in the body, they are not adding anything to or blocking anything from your system. Disrupting your body’s natural chemical balance by adding foreign or manufactured substances can create problems down the road such as memory loss, depression, sleeplessness, blackouts and dependency. Even in the short-run, side effects such as drowsiness and exhaustion can greatly impact your waking hours. Instead, natural sleep aids let you gently remind your body’s natural cycles that they are off-balance so that they can safely return to their balanced state.
2. Natural sleep aids can be taken during the day or night. Unlike sleeping pills that require you to take them a certain amount of time before bed and require dedicated sleeping hours, natural sleep aids like tryptophan allow your body to regulate its own sleep cycles throughout the night. They can even be taken during the day as natural anxiety relief. Tryptophan processes into serotonin which triggers the release of melatonin, the body’s sleep regulator. The hormone is light-sensitive, so during the day it has a relaxing effect and during the night, it helps people to fall asleep quickly.
3. Natural sleep aids help regulate other functions of your body as well. When you’re sleeping pattern is disrupted, the rest of your body responds. By taking natural sleep aids to stimulate serotonin production, your mood, emotion and appetite will be better regulated by your body. Related feelings and emotional states, including stress, anxiety and depression, are also alleviated. For these reasons, tryptophan has also been known to ease chronic pain symptoms, promote weight loss and increase libido.
4. Natural sleep aids don’t interfere with wakefulness. One of the biggest problems with sleeping pills is that they knock you out for a specific amount of time. If an emergency were to occur during this time (e.g. a fire, a family emergency, etc.), it would be extremely difficult to rouse you to action.On the other hand, sleepers using natural sleep aids are able to wake up normally even if the normal sleep cycle is interrupted.
5. No drowsiness the next day. Unlike prescription pills, natural sleep aids leave you feeling awake and refreshed the next morning—even if you don’t get the full number of hours you planned for. Sleeping pills act as knock-out agents that leave your brain incapacitated for a set period of time. Natural sleeping aids don’t work in this way, and your mind won’t “fog” as with prescription sleeping pills.
6. You don’t need a prescription. Natural sleeping aids are derived from organic sources and are safely available over the counter. This means no expensive trips to the doctor and no waiting in line at the pharmacy.
7. Natural sleep aids work. Some people build up a tolerance for sleeping pills, requiring them to keep upping the dosage, which usually causes more severe side effects. Natural sleeping aids simply restore your body to its natural, healthy rhythm. This means that they work—for everyone.
If you’re tired of being tired and are ready to finally get a full night’s sleep, consider using natural sleeping aids.