Last Updated on
What is Herpes?
Before we look into the benefits of using Apple Cider Vinegar for herpes, let us first discuss what herpes is. There are two types of herpes:
1. Herpes Simplex Virus – 1 (HSV-1)
Oral herpes is commonly referred to as cold sores, and fever blisters. This virus is spread by kissing, sharing toothbrushes, water bottles, drinking straws, and other personal items. These often painful and unsightly skin blemishes form around the lips and mouth. The cold sores tend to clear up after a week or so. Keep in mind that they are highly contagious and can be transferred from one person to another. Once you contract the HSV-1, there is no known cure. The virus tends to stay dormant in the body waiting for certain triggers such as fatigue, injury to the affected area, and in women for the monthly period.
2. Herpes Simplex Virus – 2 (HSV-2)
HSV-2 is known as genital herpes. It is a sexually transmitted disease that has similar symptoms to cold sores – but on the genital area. The only way one can contract HSV-2 is through direct skin-to-skin sexual contact with a partner who has herpes. Research shows that one out of every four sexually active teens and adults are affected in the States, and a whopping 25% of the UK’s population suffers from this condition at some stage by the age of 30! HSV-2 begins as a rash or small red blisters in the genital area. The blisters then burst and ooze all over, making it extremely painful to do just about anything.
Just like HSV-1, there is no cure for the virus However; there are a number of natural remedies that affected persons can use to keep the virus in a dormant or inactive state to reduce outbreaks.
Using Apple Cider Vinegar for Herpes
Natural remedies are one of the best options available for treating herpes. They help prevent outbreaks and heal them in a mild way. They have no side effects when used as advised and a person can use these natural methods for as long as the wish without having to worry of the harm caused by chemicals. Apple Cider Vinegar is one of the most common remedies that bring positive results in individuals suffering from herpes.
Thought there is very little research that proves the effects of Apple Cider Vinegar for herpes, people who have used it have nothing but praises for it. ACV provides the user with great relief, has no side effects, and works gently to heal the infection.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work?
- ACV contains antibacterial and antiviral agents that help kill microorganisms. Using ACV on affected areas helps treat the skin infections and since herpes is a virus, ACV helps kill the active virus and reduces the outbreak.
- Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory agents that, when applied directly to the blisters, helps reduce itching and inflammation.
- In addition, the acidic nature of the apple cider vinegar helps maintain the skin’s natural pH – this makes it hard for the virus to attack and cause infections.
- The vinegar acts as a pro-biotic that protects the body from viral infections such as herpes.
- ACV has tons of essential minerals that help heal wounds faster!
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Herpes
If you decide to use Apple Cider Vinegar for herpes, you can perform the steps below:
Treatment 1: This treatment is for topical application.
Step 1: Dilute some raw apple cider vinegar with water
Step 2: Dip a cotton ball in the solution and apply to the affected areas
Step 3: Repeat this remedy 3 times a day until the sores disappear
For genital herpes, you can apply this mixture every time you urinate. You can also leave a cotton ball dipped in ACV on the sore overnight – especially if the itching is unbearable.
Treatment 2: This treatment is all about prevention.
Step 1: Add some honey to a glass of warm water and stir until it dissolves
Step 2: Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of untreated apple cider vinegar to the mixture and stir
Step 3: Drink while it is still warm – preferably in the morning before breakfast
When used frequently, this healthy concoction can help strengthen your gut flora and immune system – both which help keep the herpes virus in an inactive state.
How to Choose a Good Brand of ACV
- Look for ACV that is unpasteurized. Yes, pasteurization kills the bad bacteria but it also kills the good healthy ones too!
- Look for ACV that is unfiltered because it contains healthy vitamins, enzymes, and minerals.
- Buy organic ACV to avoid pesticides – you will get higher nutritional value.
- The best ACV in the market is Bragg’s raw apple cider vinegar. It is organic, unpasteurized, and unfiltered!
Although it has not been scientifically proven, ACV has had very positive effects on people with herpes. Keep in mind that results vary from person to person.
Note: Remember to dilute your raw apple cider vinegar with water to prevent side effects on the skin such as rashes, irritation, and burning sensation.
1. Natural Remedies to Control Herpes Outbreaks
2. 4 Powerful Herbal Remedies to Cure a Genital Herpes Outbreak
3. Vinegar and Herpes