Rhioplasty refers a plastic surgery procedure use to remold or reform the nose. During the surgery, the nose’s structure is changed by removing or adding the cartilage or the bone. It can also be achieved by using tissue grafted from another part of the body or using implants made of synthetic materials for nose alteration.
Reasons Behind Rhinoplasty
There are many reasons one could be seeking rhinoplasty, which could be medical, cosmetic or both. Two of the most common reasons for seeking the surgery are a deviated septum or obstruction-causing conditions (e.g. nasal polyps) and for delayed treatment of a nose fracture or other physical trauma. They are corrected by septoplasty and reconstructive rhinoplasty respectively. Others include chronic sinus problems and a cleft lip or palette.
The surgery should also be sought in case of a broken or fractured nose due to physical trauma such as from a fall or an accident. The sooner it s treated, typically in a period of two weeks from the date of the trauma, the more positive the results. Lesser corrective measures are needed, increasing recovery time.
The surgery is also carried out for cosmetic surgery. This can be for professional reasons like acting or modeling or for personal reasons. The results of the procedure are simply amazing. A look at some of the before and after nose jobs pictures show an astonishing transformation after the procedure as shown below.
Whatever reasons you may have for seeking rhinoplasty, it is important to keep recovery time in mind. Recovery will interfere, even in a small way, with your lifestyle. To be able to get back to your life as soon as possible, you recovery time should be as short as possible. Below are some tips for quick recovery after the surgery
Tips for quick recovery after undergoing rhinoplasty
There are many factors that can affect recovery time after undergoing rhinoplasty. They include the expertise of the personnel and clinic, corrective measures extensiveness and surgery required. The one factor fully in your control after the surgery and the most important post-operation is as little movement of the nose after a nose job. Recovery time can be reduced by:
- Be positive: having a positive outlook is critical in ensuring you enjoy the results of the surgery. It also reduces recovery time.
- Being mobile as soon as possible. This improves circulation and leads to faster recovery. However, do not overdo it.
- Reduce vigorous activity including strenuous exercise. This is to reduce movement of the nose as you exercise. You can gradual ease back to exercising after the second week.
- After undergoing surgery, avoid resting glasses on your nose. The weight of the glasses affects both recovery time and results of the operation. Resting glasses on your nose before four weeks are over after surgery can cause deformation of nasal bones which have not set properly.
- Keep your head and torso raised. This is important as it reduces cranial pressure which affects the nose. Even when sleeping, keep the head elevated and ensure you sleep on your back for about two weeks. This can be achieved by placing pillows around you.
- Ensure you take your medication regularly and on time. The antibiotics ensure that you don’t suffer an infection and reduce chances of complications. Taking your temperature regularly is also recommended.
- Watch your diet and take ample rest. Ensure your meals and healthy and take a lot of water, fruits and vegetable. Avoid unhealthy habits such as smoking and drinking. Ensure that you are sleeping and resting enough. This all works to give your body time to recovery and heal.