Maintaining healthy, shiny hair is easy with the right kind of steps. This includes a proper balanced diet and good sanitation. Because hair is made up of protein, it is essential that we intake a healthy diet rich in proteins, grains, fruits and vegetables. Also ensure that your hair receives sufficient amount of vitamins especially vitamin C as it gives strength to your hair.
Along with this, minerals like iron helps in the transportation of oxygen in the blood vessels, zinc helps in the growth and repair of tissues and omega-3 fatty acids result in glossy hair. Stress also influences our health and causes hair loss as it reduces the nutrition reaching your hair. Try to overcome the stress in your life by including activities like yoga, meditation and biking in your daily routine.
In addition, you must take into consideration the following hair care tips for smooth, healthy and glossy hair.
WASHING YOUR HAIR:
Firstly, you must wash your hair properly using a good-quality shampoo according to your hair type, applying it well and evenly throughout your hair. But shampooing your hair very frequently makes the hair dry and weak as hair lose their natural oils. It is preferred that you wash your hair every other day or twice a week.
Make sure you use sulfates and parabens free shampoo. Sulfates are just added to form more lather and parabens are preservatives which result in irritation and eye problems if used extensively. These chemicals damage the hair and environment.
People with curly or rough hair should use softening shampoo, those with straight and oily hair should opt for a shampoo for daily wash and those who have their hair dyed or treated should use shampoo having extracts or amino acids because any kind of treatment harms the hair. Shampoos which have glycerin and collagen help moisten dry hair.
The conditioner used should be according to hair type, damage and length. Your hair should be conditioned whenever you shampoo. You can use a company-made conditioner otherwise natural homemade remedies to condition your hair are more preferable.
Conditioner should be applied from mid shaft to end of the hair. Conditioner must not be applied on the roots and must not contain too much protein as it makes the hair brittle. Make sure to use products with balanced ingredients.
DRYING YOUR HAIR:
Never rub your hair vigorously to dry it. Instead use a cotton cloth or towel to wrap your hair for a while so that all the extra water is absorbed. This prevents split ends. Letting your hair dry naturally is most preferable so let your hair down when wet.
Never pull back your hair tightly or sleep with accessories in your hair. Try not to use blow dryers as heat can prove damaging to your hair. Even if you do use it make sure it’s at the lowest temperature. Use it only once a week. If your hair is wet when you sleep tie them in a bun and let them air dry overnight.
BRUSHING YOUR HAIR:
Brush hair after shower with wide toothed comb or better just use your fingers as it stimulates follicles responsible for hair growth. But brushing your hair too often results in too much frizz and split ends.
Cleanliness is of utmost importance to avoid head lice, and scalp infections which can damage and weaken hair roots.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR HEALTHY SHINY HAIR:
Some homemade remedies for hair include:
- This homemade hair spray requires almond and coconut oil, 250 ml water and a spray bottle. Pour 200 ml water in the spray bottle followed by 2-3 drops of coconut oil and 4-5 drops of almond oil. Add only 2 drops of conditioner. You may add any fragranced oil if you wish. Shake the mixture well and allow the lather to settle before use.
- Butter gives shine and gloss to your hair. Take 4 ounces of Shea butter and cocoa butter each and 20 drops of any essential oil you like. Heat all the butter till it melts and then allow it to cool. In an empty sterilized jar add the oil and then pour the melted butter in. Set aside until it solidifies. Massage this hair mask in your hair and let it stay for about half an hour and then shampoo as usual.
- Avocados are also very good for the hair as it contains important vitamins, minerals and proteins. Mash avocado with 2 drops of peppermint oil and apply to hair for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off. Otherwise mash avocado with one egg and apply to wet hair for at least 20 minutes. Then wash your hair well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and add it to 1-2 eggs and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix all of them together and apply. This increases hair growth. You can also simply heat ½ cup of olive oil and apply it in your hair. Wrap your hair in a plastic bag and then with a towel for about 45 minutes. Then shampoo and rinse your hair well.
- Vinegar is one of the best ingredients to use for your hair. Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 3 egg whites and 2 tablespoons of olive oil and rub the mixture in your hair. Cover your hair with a plastic bag or shower cap for half an hour. Then shampoo and rinse your hair thoroughly. Even before a swim in the sea or pool protect your hair from chemicals and harsh conditions by rinsing your hair with a mixture containing ¼ apple cider and ¾ water.
- You could also take capsules of borage oil, evening primrose oil or flaxseed oil for your hair. Take 1-3 capsules of 250 mg thrice a day. These capsules are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which act like a great moisturizer for your hair as well as nails.