Imagine Being in a Waterfall Inside a Sauna
That’s the Feeling You’ll Get When You Step into a Modern Steam Shower
Nature invented the shower when it created the magnificent waterfall. These were the first showers in all of civilization. Just gazing at a waterfall is mesmerizing and very relaxing. Imagine having a hot waterfall in your home for your very own private use.
Although the Roman Empire was known for their opulent lifestyle, chariot races and conquests, they also socialized together in public steam baths and saunas. In Ancient Rome the saunas and baths were the centre of social life among the upper crust. The water and steam came from natural hot springs which were prevalent in the area.
It was inevitable that someone would see the potential and combine a shower with a steam bathhence the steam shower pod was invented. These are made to be used in private homes for everyday use and have a long list of health benefits that have been proven over time.
The Health Benefits of a Daily Steam Shower
Medical research has shown that steam will penetrate the body more quickly than water. A steam shower is very relaxing and has proven to be rejuvenating. This is why people are so willing to spend top dollar at a spa. In home private steam shower cabins have become very popular because along with a premium bathing and showering experience they are very good for your health and well-being.
These are the health benefits of having a daily steam shower:
- Relieves Pain – When someone is in pain their physician will recommend they take a steam shower. Heat therapy accompanied by full body hypothermia is known to bring relief to patients with ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, stiffness and fatigue.
- Assists Breathing – When people are suffering from a cold, steam is used to help them open their airways and unclog the phlegm in their lungs.
- Steam Detoxifies the body – There are any number of chemicals and pollutants in the air we breathe and the food we eat. A steam bath or shower will cause the body to sweat out all the toxins and cleanse them away.
- Stimulates the Cardiovascular System – Steam and heat will increase your heart rate, expands the blood vessels and increases your metabolism, which is very healthy.
- Has Rejuvenating Properties: The heat emanating from the steam shower will increase blood circulation all over the body helping tired and stiff muscles to relax. This increases your energy and rejuvenates the body.
- Revitalizes the skin – Steam heat opens clogged pores and removes the toxins that have built-up in the skin. The skin is now cleansed and able to absorb vitamins and minerals as well as oxygen. This helps the skin to become youthful and radiant.
- Helps Weight Loss – Steam definitely helps in burning calories, which is helpful when trying to lose weight.
- Helps the Immune System – A steam shower will raise the body’s temperature which helps to remove bacteria and viruses that may be present in your body.
By Using Essential Oils in a Steam Shower your Body Will Have a Fragrant Scent
Your steam shower can be wonderfully enhanced using aromatherapy. Essential oils have historically been used in the practice of aromatherapy and have very positive effects. They relax your mind and body alike when used in a steam shower.
The oils are extracted from plants by essential oil manufacturers. They are derived from the roots, the barks and the stems of many different plants. The process involves distilling the extract using water or steam. You only need a few drops of essential oil to totally change a regular steam shower into a therapeutic and invigorating experience.
The most popular essential oils and their therapeutic uses are:
- Peppermint – Helpful in relieving problems with digestion
- Lemon – Is helpful in the case of an infection or open wound
- Eucalyptus – provides relief from colds, coughs and symptoms of asthma
- Rosemary – Improves the circulation of blood which rejuvenates the skin
- Lavender – Provides relief from minor burns, abrasions and cuts
- Geranium – Helps the mind to relax
- Ylang Ylang – Relieves anxiety and stress
- Tea Tree– Is very helpful in boosting the immune system
You’ve probably imagined what it might feel like to languish in a steam shower cabin. You can now imagine what it might be like to inhale the aroma of lavender, rosemary or geranium. When you are in a steam shower your body and mind are totally encompassed in a world of your own, away from the hustle and bustle of the day. You are able to escape the stresses and pressures of job, children, spouse, bills etc. You are in your own special paradise. You can use a new and different fragrance when you want and doubly refresh your peace of mind.
In the words of Secretary General and private poet Dag Hammarskjold, “Honeysuckle. In a gray twilight. His sensuality awoke. By the lilac hedge. With no ‘duties’, she was back in the Land of Youth.”At the time he was not writing missives aboutthe scent of essential oils, his sentiments are valid today in this high-pressure world.
When someone is grateful for what they have they are able to look at the world the way a child does, as an innocent just happy to be alive. To get back to this carefree time there is nothing better than stepping into a steam shower, especially when you contemplate adding the soothing aroma of essential oils. What a way to start your day, and what a wonderfully simple thing to be grateful for.