Do you believe you may have a medical malpractice case? You may have been a victim of serious injuries or complications that resulted in piles of medical bills. If that perfectly describes your situation, then you need an attorney who can help.
Finding the right attorney can often make or break a medical malpractice case because these cases are complex and tough to fight. and medical institutions are already represented by aggressive, experienced and tough lawyers and insurance companies and they are well-paid.
Most commonly, medical negligence cases revolve around misdiagnosis, birth injury, surgical errors or mistreatment. Hence it is very important to do your research and find an experienced medical lawyer to help you.
Where Should You Begin Your Search for the Best Lawyer
Medical malpractice is a very specialized area of law that requires a lawyer who has a lot of experience in this field. There are many procedural matters and unique legal problems that only a seasoned medical lawyer can often help with.
If you’ve been hurt due to medical negligence by a doctor, you should be seeking a plaintiff’s lawyer. But be warned, solicitors may blatantly turn down your case and you may have to ask several lawyers until you find one.
The good news, however, is that most lawyers provide free consultations and many of them will actually take your case based on a no-win, no fee arrangement of sorts.
Here are some valuable tips when looking for a good lawyer for your medical negligence case.
Check biographical data. When picking a lawyer, make sure to go through their complete biographical data. Is the lawyer a specialist in malpractice law? Have they any medical background? Have they got sufficient education? What about their reviews? Case winning ratio? Check everything!
Check their membership. A good medical malpractice lawyer is usually a member of a personal injury trial attorney association such as the National Trial Lawyers. You should also check if they are part of the American Bar Association. If they are listed in the area you reside, check their background and schedule an appointment.
Where to Look for Experienced Malpractice Lawyers
- Talk to your insurance company. Your health insurance company should also be able to provide you some contacts when it comes to getting legal help. Just call them up and see if they can recommend experienced lawyers.
- Talk to another doctor. If you have a long-term family doctor who is not involved in the case, they may be able to help you out too. Doctors have plenty of contacts with medical malpractice lawyers and one of them should be able to point you in the right direction.
- Ask any other attorney. If you are unable to find a specialist in malpractice law, simply go to a law firm in your area and ask for recommendations. Lawyers know each other well and they will most likely provide you with the right contacts.
- Call a bar association. Most local lawyers are members of a bar association. You can call them up and ask for a reference.
- Once you have found a malpractice lawyer, make sure to interview them thoroughly.