New York City is one of the premiere tourist destinations of the world. Each year, thousands of tourists pour onto the congested streets heading to such places as Central Park, Times Square and Broadway. With throngs of pedestrians and vehicles intermingling, making it safely across the street can be challenging.
Under these conditions, it’s inevitable that accidents will occur between taxi cabs and pedestrians. Pedestrians should be aware that they cross city streets at their own risk. Nonetheless, injured pedestrians should know that recourse is available if they are struck by a taxi cab.
What To Do After An Accident
There are some steps you should follow if you’re involved in a pedestrian-taxi cab accident:
1. Call the police. Call 911 first thing, or have someone do it for you. If you’re knocked unconscious or otherwise incapacitated and call yourself because of your injuries, there will most likely be witnesses who will.
2. Talk with police. If conscious, you should talk to police when they arrive to tell your version of the accident. You or someone accompanying you should ask for the officer’s name, precinct number and how to obtain a copy of the police report.
3. Find out information on the cab driver. Get the name of the cab driver, the cab number and the name of the cab company. This information is included in the police report in the event that the cab driver refuses to reveal it to you.
4. Go to the hospital. Being examined by a doctor is necessary to determine the extent of your injuries. This is important not only for insurance purposes but to cover yourself in case you decide on legal action at a later date.
5. Contact your NY personal injury lawyers. Some people may question this step, since it may not appear necessary. However, being injured in one of world’s largest cities and handling insurance matters is a complex and confusing process. Personal injury attorneys know how to cut through the red tape and resolve the matter for their clients’ benefit.
Most pedestrians would not know how to handle a taxi cab accident case on their own, since New York City has special laws governing this issue. Taxi cab accident attorneys know these laws and know how to advise their clients on the best way to go about receiving compensation for pain and suffering.
Attorneys also know how to handle all issues involved in the accident, including when taxi cab companies do not report the accident to their insurance companies.
New York has a No-fault insurance system, so if a cab driver hits you, the cab company’s insurance provider pays for your medical expenses. The insurance does not cover pain, suffering, or wrongful death, however. In those instances, you or your survivors would have to file a lawsuit to receive compensation.
When in New York City, visitors, and even residents, want to take as large a “bite” out of the “Big Apple” as possible. Having a New York personal injury attorney working on your behalf will prevent a taxi cab company in the Big Apple from taking a bite out of you.
Freelance writer Nadine Swayne brings you these tips on how to deal with a taxi cab-pedestrian accident. NY personal injury lawyers at the Perecman Firm work tirelessly on a client’s behalf to get just compensation for any injuries received from a hit by a NY taxi.
- British tourist in horror taxi cab accident sues New York for $27.5 million (telegraph.co.uk)
- Injured While On Vacation? What Do You Do? (tourism-alliance.com)
- Top 5 Unluckiest Cars (usalifestyle.info)
- Man has severed hand grafted to foot after accident (telegraph.co.uk)